Trying to find inspiration for a holiday this summer or planning a short break? Look no further! Famous for it’s canals, gondolas, architecture, bridges and food. It’s no wonder Venice is a popular tourist destination. Only a two hour flight away from the UK, Venice makes for a perfect City Break.
Booking a Venice City Break
When beginning to search for a deal on a holiday/city break, I tend to start by checking multiples websites. I get ideas on the prices, hotels on offer and flight times. My last three trips I have been on, I have booked with lastminute.com. I always find the flight times and airline that I prefer and a hotel that meets my requirements, most importantly I find all of these things at a good price.
Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal
I chose to stay at Hotel Carlton on the Grand Canal and would recommend the hotel to anyone booking their first visit. Situated opposite Santa Lucia Station the hotel is in perfect proximity to all the top landmarks, for me this is far enough to walk and explore, you may prefer a closer location if you do not want to be too far from San Marco. Hotel Carlton offers free continental breakfast, free WiFi and a rooftop lounge overlooking the canal.
Venice City Break: Three Day Itinerary
I have based this itinerary on what I did on my visit. Be sure to do your research as there may be different things you wish to include in your visit. I believe three days was enough time to visit all the main landmarks in Venice. If you wish to visit the surrounding islands such as, Murano and Burano, I would definitely suggest a longer trip.
Day 1 –
- Arrive in Venice – Water Bus to Hotel
- Spend the afternoon wandering the passageways of Venice.
- Grab a slice of pizza and people watch by the Grand Canal
Day 2 –
- Breakfast at Hotel Carlton
- Wander around local shops – Take items back to hotel before heading further away
- Rialto Bridge
- Grab some gelato and stroll alongside the canal
- St. Marks Square
- Doges Palace
- St. Marks Campanile
- Bridge of Sighs
- Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo
- Browse local markets
- Spend the evening on the rooftop lounge at Hotel Carlton
Day 3 –
- Breakfast at Hotel Carlton
- Check out
- Walk back to St. Marks Square
- Sit by canal – overlooking Guidecca
- Slowly make way back to hotel
- Relaxed last few hours – sightseeing/shopping
- Water Bus / Taxi to Airport
Venice City Break: Travel Tips!
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Plan where you want to visit but also have fun exploring the alleys and passageways – You will get lost! – Take a map with you just in case but most of the time you will work out where you are.
- Research before you go and plan your itinerary – take into account landmarks/restaurants/shops.
- Choose restaurants/cafe’s that are further from main tourist attractions – You will save alot of money!
- Gondola rides are not cheap – If it is a must have for your trip be sure to budget for it.
Read more of my travel posts here!
Are you planning a Venice City Break or already visited, leave a comment below!